Our Children are...

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

A Little More Birth Story

This post is a little late and out of order but that's ok, I wanted to share some of the birth story from my perspective. Labor was long and hard and hurt more than anything I've ever experienced. My pain level was at a 10 for a lot of the time only 10 kept getting worse and worse so what I said was a 10 early on would have been more like a 6 or 7 to me later. Jonah and my doula were so helpful in getting me through contractions but even with them once the decision was made to give me an epideral I was so ready for it. It was such a relief once it started working, it was weird to have the whole bottom half of me numb and tingling and to not be able to lift up my legs but it was worth it. When Rita (my midwife) came in to check me 3 hours after my epidural to see if I'd made enough progress to continue with labor and made the call for a c-section I was pretty upset and cried for a while. But Rita and my doula reassured me that it was time and that we had given it our best shot.
Feeling better after the epidural.
 It was very surreal being wheeled down the hospital hallways heading off to surgery. All I could think about was how it was just like in the movies. Jonah had to get his scrubs on and therefore couldn't be with me as I was getting prepared for the surgery. The medicine they gave me made me nauseaus and I was so nervous, I was really worried about fainting or throwing up but fortunately neither happened. Jonah finally was allowed in and I felt much better with him there with me.
Trying to stay calm as I waited.
 I felt a lot of tugging and moving but no pain and didn't have a clue what was going on beyond the curtain.  And then we heard her and it was the best sound in the world. Jonah went over to cut the cord and then they brought over the most beautiful baby I'd ever seen.
Daddy cutting the cord.
 Emery was so much cuter than I'd even imagined and I couldn't stop crying. I was so relieved she was finally out!
 Then Jonah and Emery had to leave me and I did NOT like that. They said I was going to get some medicine that might make me "a little sleepy" and it almost knocked me out. I had to fight to stay awake and felt like I needed to remind myself to breathe.  Finally they were done sewing me up and I was wheeled to the recovery room where Jonah and Emery were waiting for me.
Our little wide awake baby.

Proud daddy.

Reunited

1 comment:

Heather said...

Oh great, now I'm crying all over the place.